My main subject is the sea. Having spent many years at sea by profession I am fascinated by the endless amounts of moods, scenes and impressions.
Pastel seems to me the most appropriate way to express my artistic feelings and motions. I enjoy the mixture of drawing and painting while I am able to use both hands and fingers. I love the way a painting evolves and the constant dialogue between intention and pigments applied.
For me a picture has turned out really well when there is a certain glow to it and when I capture the mood that light has created at that moment.
I want to capture the dynamic of the sea, the play of light and the reflections every scene has to offer and try to develop ways of preserving the mood and sensitivity of it.
- May 2010 Exhibition at the German Historic Windmill Festival in Neustadtgödens
- August 2010- May 2012 Permanent Exhibition at the „Theater am Meer“ in Wilhelmshaven
- April 2011-June 2011 Online-Blogparade with 10 German Artist amongst them the well-known German Artists Frank Koebsch, Susanne Haun and Andreas Mattern
- August 2011 Exhibition at the Jever-Winemaker meeting at the historic village festival in Jever
- January – February 2012 Solo Exhibition at the Bürgerhaus Schortens
- September 2012 - Center for Physiotherapy Wittmund
- Christmas Exhibition at Gödens Palace 2012 and 2013
- Januar 2014 Nordwestzeitung Oldenburg
Oliver Kohls is a self-educated artist, received a naval officer training, achieved a masters degree in politics and international studies and spent many years at sea within the German Navy. In many European Museums in Berlin, Munich, London, Paris and Amsterdam he studied the techniques of the old masters. Heavily influenced by the impressionist he is on his way from a realistic approach towards a more free and impressionist style.
In 2009 he changed into a more professional approach and systematically enhanced his skills. In May 2010 he was accepted as a journeyer member at the Pastel Guild of Europe. In 2014 he became a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America.